The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an outstanding, motivated candidate for the position of Post-Doctoral Fellow in Wheat Physiology. The position offers a career opportunity for a researcher interested in wheat research with impact in Mexico. The successful candidate will work in the Global Wheat Program as a member of the Wheat Physiology team. This position will contribute to collaborative activities with the Bread Wheat Breeding team and Mexican partners including national programs and seed producers. In addition, the successful candidate will conduct studies related with lodging resistance traits characterizing improved germplasm and genetic resources.
This position is based at CIMMYT Headquarters located in Texcoco, Mexico.
- Contribute to the ongoing collaborative research with the national agricultural research system from Mexico that focus on releasing new improved wheat varieties.
- Develop and coordinate a network with collaborators in Mexico that will contribute to the national wheat value chain by promoting the adoption of improved varieties recently released.
- Contribute to the research on wheat lodging resistance traits and other yield potential related traits.
- Assist in the selection of breeding materials in collaboration with Bread Wheat Breeding team.
- Contribute to training activities and interaction with visitors.
- Provide support to the development of project proposals and reports.
- Create internal technical documentation and training materials.
- Disseminate relevant research outputs through publication of scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and oral and poster presentations at national and international meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and role.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A recent Ph.D. in Plant Physiology or Breeding of wheat or other cereals.
- Previous experience working under field conditions and in an internationally recognized crop research institute.
- Knowledge of the Mexican wheat producing system and experience reporting to Mexican donors.
- Experience evaluating lodging resistance traits under field conditions.
- Experience with statistical packages to analyze the data.
- Full Spanish proficiency, both written and spoken. Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Established publications in peer reviewed international journals.
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of cultural sensitivity and as part of a multidisciplinary and multicultural team.
- Flexibility to travel and spend at least 4 months per year in NW-Mexico and frequent travelling across Mexico.
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Highly Organized.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for tow (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16845 Post-Doctoral Fellow in Wheat Physiology. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, 2nd January 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.