The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of News Editor and Media Officer in the Corporate Communications Program based in Texcoco, Mexico. This position has a critical role in enhancing the impact of CIMMYT’s work.
The position reports to the Head of Communications, and is based at CIMMYT’s Main Campus (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico).
- Set the style standards for the organization’s online presence (AP style guide favored).
- Produce/generate compelling information/write stories and articles to support CIMMYT’s mission about maize and wheat.
- Manage content with communications specialists and scientists to develop stories for the website.
- Writing, editing and proofreading site content.
- Leading online outreach campaigns and link with CIMMYT regional offices to follow up on possible campaign issues.
- Create, develop and manage content for organization’s web presence (requires working with content management software if applicable).
- Monitor all sites’ metrics.
- Oversee the web strategy for the corporate website.
- Liaise with media, identify content for and write press releases.
- Oversee high-level communication between the organization and its media resources (newspapers, radio broadcasts, online news, etc).
- Link with CGIAR groups and other agricultural organizations for possible collaborations.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters’ degree in journalism, communications, science, international development or other relevant fields. A bachelor’s degree with extensive experience will be considered.
- 6-10 years of experience in science communications, journalism, marketing, media campaigns and/or non-profit communications.
- Proficiency in use of social networking, new media tools and WordPress platforms.
- High proficiency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for diverse media.
- Experience working with worldwide media contacts: pitching story ideas, positioning CIMMYT and its scientists, setting up interviews, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of the non-profit and/or agricultural research for development environments and associated communications.
- Demonstrated experience in expressing technical concepts and jargon in clear, simple language for diverse audiences, including the general public and especially journalists.
- Ability to develop web and social media strategies and lead campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
- Ability to manage intensive client demands and function productively and positively under pressure.
- A demonstrated understanding of visual supports to storytelling and representing complex information visually.
- Relationship Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Relationship with External Stakeholders
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16838 News Editor and Media Officer. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Saturday, 14 January 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.