The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Full-stack Digital Systems Specialist in the Knowledge Management Unit based in Mexico. The successful candidate for this position will collaborate in the adaptation, development and interlinking of the components needed to implement new trait discovery and breeding tools and services. The development of this new toolbox for excellence in breeding will be based on systems and platforms in place, which will be properly maintained, updated and customized by the candidate as well. We are seeking a full-stack developer profile, therefore solid knowledge of programming languages, database management systems, discovery platforms, interoperability, software development frameworks, operating systems, metadata standards and Semantic Web technologies are required.
The position will be part of the Knowledge Management unit, and will be based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico. The job may involve travel within Mexico and to regional offices.
- Full-stack development of tailor-made digital systems.
- Customization of off-the-shelf systems and platforms according to specific requirements.
- Technical maintenance, update and customization of existent digital platforms and systems.
- Technical maintenance and troubleshooting of cloud servers, including proper backup management.
- Production of statistics reports on the use of web systems.
- Provision of training related to the platforms/tools developed and/or maintained.
- Any other tasks that could be assigned by the supervisor of the candidate.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Sciences or related field, with a strong background in distributed software development, databases and operating systems
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a similar position ideally in an international organization.
- In-depth knowledge of and proven experience in:
- DSpace repository.
- Dataverse repository.
- Koha integrated library management system.
- Moodle e-learning system.
- Cocoon framework.
- Several programming and scripting languages, like Java, PHP, Bash, Perl or Python.
- Relational database management systems like mySQL and Postgres.
- API-Rest applications.
- Solr indexing platform.
- Open Data Kit.
- Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Cloud and in-house servers management.
- Technical training provision.
- Small project management.
- Troubleshooting workflows.
- Google Analytics and/or similar tools.
- Technology forecasting and technical advice on innovative/disrupting technologies.
- Planning and reporting tools.
- Authentication systems.
- User interface development.
- Good knowledge of:
- Widely used metadata standards.
- The principles of the Semantic Web.
- Interoperability mechanisms.
- Content management systems.
- Working level of English.
- Relationship management
- Innovation and creativity
- Efficient problem solving orientation
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16849 Full-stack Digital Systems Specialist.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, 23rd January 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.