The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
As part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy), CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding individual with the appropriate technical and personal skills to lead the Excellence in Breeding Platform (www.excellenceinbreeding.org). The successful candidate will develop this new initiative into a world-leading cross-commodity Platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting low- and middle-income countries for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. The Platform will draw from innovations in CGIAR centers, advanced research institutes and the private sector, and provide access to cutting-edge tools, services and best practices, application-oriented training and practical advice.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Main Campus in Texcoco (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico).
- Build the Platform as an inclusive, service-oriented, member-driven community of practice. Develop and implement a strategy that grows the membership and builds their engagement towards the shared vision.
- Develop and implement the Platform’s strategy, theory of change, and results-based management framework. Effectively engage the Platform Steering Committee, Module Leaders, Expert Advisory Groups, external consultants and the wider stakeholder community in this process.
- Oversee and support Module Leaders, contributors and a small Platform Management Unit in delivering Platform outputs and outcomes, aligned with the Theory of Change.
- Coordinate the development of the Platform’s annual and multi-year work plans (programmatic, gender, risk management, monitoring-evaluation-and-learning; intellectual and open assess management), budgets, and reports. Support internal and external reviews and evaluations.
- Design strategies for the Platform’s communication and growth. Build and maintain donor relations and lead resource mobilization. Represent the Platform at relevant meetings.
- Design strategies to widen in-kind support and contributions of members, consultants, service providers while staying tuned to opportunities arising from emerging innovations.
- Conceptualize and lead the Platform’s web interface with users (toolbox development, adoption and use), and associated capacity development and gender responsive strategies.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in plant breeding or related fields with a minimum of 10 years of post-doctoral experience, part of that in low- or middle-income countries.
- In-depth understanding of practical breeding applications and logistical constraints relevant to breeding programs targeting the developing world including those from the CGIAR, national systems, and the local private sector.
- Excellent understanding of new and established tools that pragmatically support modern breeding application and capacity development approaches that will accelerate their use in breeding programs targeting the developing world.
- Experience in:
- Leading multi-institutional programs or projects.
- Developing startegies and results-based management frameworks (workplans, budgets, monitroing plans, reports).
- Building consensus among diverse needs of clients.
- Service provision and capacity development in areas relevant to the Platform.
- Achievement orientation and decision making.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Interpersonal, team work and collaboration.
- Excellent oral and written, and communication and presentation skills in English.
- Negotiation skills.
- Service orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16842 Platform Leader. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, 12th December 2016. Incomplete applications (CV, Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.