The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an experienced, results-oriented and self-motivated professional for the position of Agricultural Climatologist / Agricultural Climate Services Specialist. The internationally recruited candidate will contribute a core role to the USAID funded Climate Services for Resilient Development project in South Asia (CSRD). CSRD is a partnership developing new tools, services, and approaches that bridge technology and organizational gaps in order to strengthen climate resilience to populations around the world in Bangladesh, CIMMYT has been designated to lead CSRD partnership coordination national partner organizations.
The Agricultural Climatologist selected will be expected to contribute to a multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team working to develop and refine national- and regional-scale agricultural climate services decision tool platforms and to expand national partners’ strategic use of climate services. In addition, the Agricultural Climatologist will contribute to research aimed at better understanding farmers’ decision making processes with respect to use of meteorological information, in order to refine and improve decision support tools.
The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh but will require frequent within country and regional travel. The Agricultural Climatologist/Agricultural Climate Services Specialist will report directly CSRD project leader and will be part of CIMMYT’s Sustainable Intensification Program (http://www.cimmyt.org/sustainable-intensification-program/) in alignment with the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (https://ccafs.cgiar.org/).
- Collaborate with national research partners to develop and sustain improved climate services decision support platforms for major crops within Bangladesh and South Asia.
- Contribute to research aimed at better understanding farmers’ decision making processes with respect to use of meteorological information, in order to refine and improve decision support tools.
- Work in partnership with partner international research institutes such as the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) to improve agricultural stakeholders’ use climate services.
- Work to implement use of meteorological information in precision crop management recommendations, in collaboration with CIMMYT’s agronomists.
- Increase stakeholders’ awareness of agro-meteorological forecasts and decision support tool platforms for agricultural climate change adaptation by convening trainings, workshops, and other learning.
- Contribute to annual and quarterly project reports.
- Publish research results in report forms accessible to multiple stakeholders, as well as in peer-reviewed journals.
- Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in agro-meteorology, climatology, agronomy, or related fields with emphasis on agricultural climate services.
- At least 3 years of post-PhD research experience, preferably in the context of developing nations. Exceptions may be made in exceptional circumstances.
- Knowledge of wheat, rice, and maize agronomy in the context of climate change, climate variability, preferably in the context of South Asian cropping systems.
- Experience coordinating complex research efforts among multiple stakeholders and national partner research organizations.
- Familiarity with the development of ICT based decision support tools.
- Knowledge of GIS, statistical applications and programming languages.
- Demonstrated publication record in peer-reviewed journals of relevance.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environment.
- Achievement orientation.
- Relationship with external stakeholders.
- Strategic Thinking.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16851 Agricultural Climatologist / Agricultural Climate Services Specialist.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Thursday, 2nd February 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.